The National Association of Manufacturers ANWR Backgrounder – “The Coastal Plain is this nation’s single greatest onshore prospect for future oil. The USGS estimates that it contains a mean expected value of 10.4 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil with a 95 percent probability of 5.7 billion barrels and a 5 percent probability of 16 billion barrels. The potential daily production from the 1002 area alone is larger than the current daily onshore oil production of any lower 48 state.
Joint letter from the Competitive Enterprise Institute, US Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Manufacturers, and over 60 other organizations to Congress March, 2006 – “Contrary to claims by environmental pressure groups that the oil and gas ANWR potentially contains are only a few ‘drops in the bucket’ and that oil companies are not interested in exploring ANWR’s coastal plain, the U. S. Geological Survey’s mean estimate of economically recoverable oil and gas reserves under the coastal plain of ANWR is 10.4 billion barrels of crude oil. Such an amount would increase proven U. S. crude oil reserves by 50% and is equivalent to approximately a quarter century of current imports from Saudi Arabia, one of our top foreign suppliers. The USGS estimate was based on assuming oil priced at $30 a barrel; assuming $60 a barrel would give a much higher estimate of economically recoverable reserves.”